Have you ever driven from Houston to Lubbock before? No, you are smart. Yes, uggh - I feel your pain! Pete and I have made that drive many, many times since we went to school in Lubbock and both of our families live in Houston. But, never driven there with 3 kiddos - whole new experience. We used to focus on making it there in the best time, now we were just focused on making it there! My mom had flown up at the beginning of the week, so my family of five decided to ride in my parent's very spacious Tahoe with my dad (the built in DVD player helped us decide too!) My grandparents met us outside of Caldwell and the caravan began.
Our kiddos were absolutely amazing. Thank goodness for that DVD player. Pete and I are avid "no DVD players in the car" parents, but we wouldn't have made it without it. Comanche is a town about halfway between, and I found out that they had a great new playground area. So, we decided that we would stop there, eat lunch and let the kiddos run around. It really worked great with the kids.
We had decided before we even got to Lubbock that we needed a rent car beause of all the running around everyone would be doing, the different places we all needed to be and taking care of the kiddos. We I went to pick up the car up I asked if the could upgrade me - and they did - to a brand new 2011 Explorer! The rental lady told me where the keys would be which I easily found - exept these new cars don't have a "key", it's just one of those security fobs. I sat in that car for 10 minutes trying to figure out how to turn on that dang car. I felt so stupid having to flag down an Enterprise employee and ask "How do you turn the car on?" When Pete got in the car later I told him I was going to wait and see if he could figure it out - made me feel a whole lot better that he couldn't figure it out either!!!
One of my main concerns was trying to keep the kiddos occupied, taking naps and going to bed on time. Well, the taking naps and going to bed on time never really happened. They still did pretty well but I was still so stressed about it. I just knew they were going to crash by Saturday night, but fortunately, I think everything was so new that they did pretty well.
At the rehearsal, Avery, Pete and Hailey fussed, yelled, refused to walk down the aisle, talked while sitting in the pews and and ran around the church. To say that I was worried was an understatement. I really thought they would be so entralled that they would do pretty good - but after that rehearsal I was petrified as to how they were going to act. Later that night, I made church goodie bags with candy, games, stickers, snacks, ect for the actual wedding. Some people might think "why so worried?" First, this is my only sister's wedding. We have been working on it for months. Second, my entire family was in or a part of the wedding. We were all busy with responsibilites so it made taking care of the kiddos during the wedding tough.
After the rehearsal we went to a great steak restaurant in town. I had made the slideshow of Ashley and Bobby's childhood, dating and engagement. Bobby's sister ended up adding a really special part to it by singing the music to the slide show rather than just having taped music on it. It was so awesome to have live music by a family member while watching those precious pictures!
.jpg)

No comments:
Post a Comment