Monday, August 10, 2009

August Adventures: Lubbock



Avery and I just returned from a weekend visiting my sister, Ashley, in Lubbock with my mom. My mom was nice enough to treat us to this weekend away with the girls, and I can't tell you how much I appreciated it (and needed it!)

Ashley just bought a house in Lubbock which is where she is now living after getting her masters at Tech. I was so excited to go back to my alma mater and see the little town that holds a special place in my heart! I had forgotten how much I truly love being in Lubbock! The weather is great and it is just such a quaint "little-big" town!



It was doubly special because little Miss Avery got to experience riding in an airplane for the first time. I was so worried about how it was going to affect her but she was a CHAMP! It was like she had done it a million times before. At one point, I looked over and I was reading a magazine, Avery was reading a book, and my mom was reading a magazine. It couldn't have been anymore picture perfect!



We visited Ashley's house which is so nice and she has done so many updates already to it. It is near a wonderful park which we took total advantage of (Lubbock has the best parks!) Avery loved getting to feed the ducks and ran around in pure happiness all morning! She also got to engage in some serious home accessories shopping as we tried to help Ashley decorate her new home.




We went to a great wine tasting down in the Depot District. We got to sit outside in the Lubbock night and listen to a guitar player. Overall pretty relaxing and you can't beat a good glass of wine. I also got to see my old roommate, Dinah, who owns a gorgeous gift and invitation shop in town. We "oohed" and "ahhed" over all her beautiful things she has and creates.

!

On our last night we ate dinner at a hibachi style restaurant. I thought Avery would love it, but quite the opposite! She was so scared she never left Nana's lap the entire night. At certain points she clutched for dear life to Nana's clothes. Our chef was fantastic and funny so it made for an enjoyable dinner.




Of course, we had to visit campus. I hadn't been there in YEARS! It was neat to be there with Avery and get to run around and show her some of the sights. My sister's boyfriend very diligently took some pictures for us as we walked around.




Avery got so much individual attention and I got to spend many one-on-one moments with her! She relished every second of the attention and I loved it too. After returning home I started thinking we need to do this type of thing more often. I wonder what Pete, Lil' Pete, and Hailey were up to this weekend . . . more to come about that later!!

3 comments:

shannonmichaelis said...

girl, you look awesome! your arms are so cut! 3how fun for just a girls trip, and how nice to just have one child! looks like a fun time.

Christy said...

hee hee Wish it could be from some other reason other than carrying 3 kids around!! :)

Laura said...

Yes, mommies tend to get pretty big guns when they have to carry babies around! :) I was at a friend's house late last night so my boys went to sleep there, and I had to carry my 50 pound and 25 pound babies to the car and inside when we got home! I thought for sure I was going to have a hernia, especially with the bigger "baby"!

So glad you got to take one of your little KD legacies to Lubbock. I can't wait to take my boys someday!