Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Summer 2010 - Hailey's adventures

Ah, Summer 2010 - how do I describe you?

I tried to make a list of everything I wanted to blog and journal about but I never seem to have time to blog anymore. My list just kept getting longer and longer. I love writing and keeping track of everything on this blog, but I'm afraid that as my kids become more active my days of keeping track of EVERYTHING are few and far between. So here goes with a brief synopsis of some of the big events this summer.

My sweet little baby Hailey has become the most accident prone, monkey climbing, daredevil leaping 18 month old I've ever seen. In the span of 2 weeks we had 2 emergency room visits, along with pedi visit's. Yes, that's right: pass the "Mom of the Year" award right on by me.


So first visit: Hailey, this summer, discovered that chairs were fun to climb on. So as she was climbing, she fell and hit the corner of the chair (right in that spot that 95% of children hit-above the eyebrow) and it busted it right open. Well, she screamed, and screamed and screamed. You would think a screaming child in the emergency room woud get you in faster, dang that whole triage thing. After a very harried day, I was one frazzled mommy so I decided to go on to Bible study. When I came home, Pete said, "You are not going to believe what happened!" (Always what you want to hear when you walk in the door.) It seems Hailey had tripped, and fallen, and hit the wall right in the same exact spot and RE-OPENED the cut. So, the next day, I took all of the kids to the pedi's office, to try to get it fixed. And guess what, sitting in my lap, she reared her head back and hit the corner of the cabinet . . . IN THE SAME SPOT, RE-OPENING IT ONCE MORE. Nonetheless, when the doctor came back in, not only was Hailey crying but so was this Momma. I tried to find the humor in the situation later. Some day when Hailey is irratated by that little scar above her eye, I will gently remind her that she did EVERYTHING in her power to get that scar, so she better embrace it, because she worked HARD for it.

Second visit: As I was making grilled cheese for lunch, the kiddos were happily watching TV in the living, ALL OF THEM, sitting there watching TV. I'd just put the sandwiches on the griddle, and turned to walked less than a foot to get the spatula. In that short, short time period, Miss Hailey had walked behind me through our dining room and pulled the griddle down on top of her. People, I don't know how it missed her face - I just kept telling everyone it was truly by the grace of God.

It of course DID hit her arm and gave her a second degree burn. Now, if you think she was screaming with the cut forehead, it was nothing compared to the burn. I have harbored alot of guilt about this incident, and am still trying to get over it. I really won't even get the griddle out anymore unless someone is home with me. She's fine, and really it's amazing how the human body can heal. I've been pretty diligent about putting cream on it, and yesterday I had to search both arms to try and find the reminants of the burn.

On another note, this 18 month old is just about the cutest little thing I've ever seen. Even with all our mishaps this summer she is doing so well. She is singing and dancing up a storm. LOVES her brother and sister and wants to always be around them. LOVES talking on the phone and famously says "HI DADA" no matter who she is talking to. LOVES to walk around with a purse and a tutu while prancing and singing.

So really all of these tough experiences are just a drop in the bucket to all her wonderful-ness!!

2 comments:

Mandy said...

Haha! What a rough summer!

But I laughed my butt off! You can't make this stuff up! :-)

Sarah Frey said...

From what I've seen, I'm thinking that "Mom of the Year" award is not as far away as you think. Hang in there!